ALL TRANSFERS ARE CLOSED FOR THE 2019-20 SCHOOL YEAR.
IN-DISTRICT TRANSFER: A transfer within the Canby School District
It is the policy of the Board that every student attends the school that serves the attendance area in which the student lives. However, the Board also recognizes that in certain situations, a student transfer to another attendance area within the district may be in the best interest of the individual student.
Therefore, the superintendent may approve parent/guardian requests for student transfers to another attendance area subject to the following conditions:
- An educational, safety, or health condition affecting the student would be reasonably improved as a result of the transfer, or:
- There is some other special hardship or detrimental condition affecting the student or the student’s immediate family, which would be alleviated as a result of the transfer. Special hardship or detrimental condition includes but is not limited to the following:
- The student is impacted by a parent or guardian’s military deployment;
- The student experiences instability related to homelessness or foster care placement;
- The student has a documented medical condition that necessitates transfer;
- Death of a student’s parent/guardian;
- The student is involved in a documented case of severe harassment, intimidation, bullying or cyberbullying;
- There is adequate space at this student’s grade level for added enrollment.
Due to the open enrollment statute sunset provision, effective July 1, 2019, preference will be given to students with siblings that are enrolled at a non-resident school through open enrollment provided there is adequate space at the school/grade level requested.
- If a transfer request is approved, timely transportation becomes the sole responsibility of the parent/guardian unless the student receives services under McKinney-Vento.
- An approved transfer agreement is contingent upon strict adherence to all district and school policies, rules and regulations regarding attendance (92% or greater) and behavior.
- Approved transfers will be reviewed annually and reassignment to the school that serves the attendance area in which the student lives may be necessary in any subsequent year.
- A one-time transfer application is needed for the requested school unless the parent/guardian wishes to change their child to a different school outside of the child’s attendance area within the district.
Key Dates / Process Timeline:
In-District Transfer applications will be accepted beginning April 1, 2019 and the deadline is June 14, 2019.
An In-District Transfer Request Form must be submitted to the principal of the resident school, the principal of the non-resident school, and the superintendent for approval.